Director of Academic Design K-5 Science - Columbus, OH
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Director of Academic Design, Elementary Science in our Columbus, OH office. Does this sound like you?
As part of our PreK-12 business, you’ll be part of a team that creates robust digital tools, curriculum and learning solutions in a variety of formats that are used by millions of educators and students every day.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Manage the editorial development process for all key titles in the K-5 Science portfolio and work to assure authors, vendors, and development staff are maintaining schedules as well as budgets while developing content according to established guidelines, standards, and academic integrity.
- Lead the creation and execution of Academic Design (editorial) guidelines for digital learning tools and content development consistent with current market needs as well as current pedagogical, curriculum, and scholarly trends. This position will be responsible for compliance across all phases of print and digital development from inception to delivery to market.
- Establish research-base, including applicable learning science, linguistic diversity, and relevant teaching and learning instructional models.
- Work with digital and content team to inform development of new tools/feature sets for digital products and platform development based on instructional design best practices, including integration of adaptive learning and formative assessment.
- Train content development staff and other internal stakeholders (senior management, sales representatives, and/or technology specialists, etc.) on new content tools and feature sets of digital learning as needed.
- Work with Product Management and Marketing to conceptualize and plan new programs, establishing market and product requirements, milestone delivery dates, and budgets.
- Manage program budgets throughout development cycle including accurate tracking and forecasting of monthly spending.
- Represent the domain and the company as a subject-matter expert internally and externally, including with customers, key accounts, external professional organizations, and key strategic events (e.g., National Sales Meeting)
- This position will require some travel estimated at 10 to 20%.
- The position will require extensive training on proprietary learning tool platforms, content engines, and authoring environments provided by McGraw-Hill
- This position will require employee to hire, manage and develop staff.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelors’ degree in education, science, or related field required. An advanced degree is preferred
- Experience in elementary science curriculum development is required
- Classroom teaching experience in elementary science is preferred
- Combination of 8 years of increasingly more senior/complex leadership roles in the field of educational publishing and business operations
- Must have strong business operations background with experience in the planning and implementation of new business processes and systems
- Must be detail oriented with strong fiscal and problem-solving skills
- A forthright communicator exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, and is able to state expectations clearly and be visible to employees. Demonstrated success in building strong internal and external relationships and teams
- Strong hands-on skills and not hesitant to jump in and perform work when needed, but generally gets the work done through others
- Highly energetic and pragmatic. An excellent motivator who generates excitement and enthusiasm within the organization, gaining commitments, empowering others to be proactive, negotiating persuasively, mediating to resolve conflicts and effectively influencing upward, downward and across
- The highest integrity, practicing the ethical standards of McGraw-Hill and the broader community, acting with fairness – being consistent, keeping commitments and providing rationale for decisions thereby creating an environment of trust
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? We make your life easier and better, and you, smarter. Click here to learn more!