Manager, Database Engineering and Enterprise Business Systems - Blacklick, OH
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Manager, Database Engineering and Enterprise Business Systems; that will be based in our Blacklick, OH office. Does this sound like you?
As a member of McGraw-Hill’s Global Technology Services team, the individual will serve as manager of a team of database and application administrators that are based in the USA, Uruguay and India to fulfill Information Technology project initiatives and daily support activities of multiple teams comprised of contract technical staffing.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Identify database requirements including performance and sizing requirements.
- Provide database design, capacity management, security compliance, proactive monitoring, backups, recovery and retention specifications.
- Monitor and maintain database performance through Oracle best practices.
- Manage staff that provides Oracle Super Cluster and ExaData engineered systems OS and infrastructure administration.
- Support system users by identifying and responding with appropriate urgency to problems and communicating system status.
- Work with business and end-users, application teams, security, storage, server and other related personnel.
- Support system performance testing and tuning for projects and in preparation for seasonal demand.
- Support and maintain mission-critical systems with thousands of system users.
- Participate in security audits, including SOX and PCI compliance.
- Help drive and participate in future cloud based initiatives for business systems and related infrastructure
- Provide hands-on active participation in team activities including weekends and evenings when events warrant direct engagement.
- Communicate event notices, status and plans to the business and system users.
- Coordinate environment patching or cloning.
- Secures database by developing policies, procedures, and controls.
- Participate in enhancement projects, go-live planning and events, migrations, upgrades and system outages.
- Test and certify backups and disaster recovery readiness annually and documents the results.
The successful candidate will manage and approve architectural, performance, disaster recovery and security needs for IT initiatives. Responsibilities include the overall management of the DBA team’s support activities including database configuration, tuning, upgrades, refresh, storage, cloning, patching, backup and monitoring on Oracle and SQL Server database systems hosted on Solaris, Linux and Windows operating systems. The position also requires application configuration and administration oversight for many systems including but not limited to Oracle EBS. The candidate will play a key role in responding to business user, customer and vendor reported problems, questions and contracts. The candidate will be responsible for reporting to senior management on system performance, issues and future funding and contract requirements.
The applicant must possess strong technical knowledge and experience in the system and database and application administration positions. The role includes the need to communicate team activities and provide status updates, organize planned outages, conduct DR tests, staff maintenance events including the creation of step by step plans with labor estimates and staffing assignments. This position is also responsible for managing the staff that provides Oracle Super Cluster and Oracle ExaData engineered system administration. This position includes the support and management of EDI and Online Web Sites.
What you'll need to be successful:
- 10+ years of technical experience in database, application and systems administration. Oracle EBS specific experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major in CIS or CS.
- Oracle DBA and EBS application administration experience.
- Solid management experience of large teams in multiple locations
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, writing and communication skills
- Extensive experience with Windows and UNIX operating systems
- Solid background in business systems and enterprise architecture
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Cross functional team coordination and the ability to multi-task
- Experience with SAP, SOA, Informatica, ExaData and Web or application system administration are a plus.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? We make your life easier and better, and you, smarter. Click here to learn more!