Design Director - Columbus, OH
At McGraw-Hill Education, we believe that our contribution to unlocking a brighter future lies within the application of our deep understanding of how learning happens and how the mind develops. It exists where the science of learning meets the art of teaching.
We are seeking a Design Director who is passionate about using research (academic, user, and market) insights to drive solutions that ensure student learning. This Director will lead a team to build solutions across print, web, and mobile K–12 curriculum experiences through collaboration with UX, Media Design, Academic Design, Marketing, Product Management, and Research & Analytics teams. The position is preferred to sit in our Polaris, OH office, but open to our Chicago, New York City, and Seattle locations as well.
The Director will report to the Executive Design Director of McGraw-Hill Education School. He or she will bring fluency in visual and experience tools, technical expertise, story-telling skills, and strong problem-solving capabilities, to a culture embracing the inclusion of research throughout the design and development process. The Director will lead teams to develop solutions that work within existing software and will also leverage research, best practice, and content strategy to identify and recommend modifications and new approaches. Strong collaboration with cross-functional teams including Academic Design, Strategy & Analytics, Instructional Design, Product Management, Product Marketing, Project Management, Digital Strategy, Content Strategy, and User Experience will enable the Director to successfully guide the user experience across the product development teams.
The Director will lead a large team of multi-skilled creative and experience designers to expand and hone their digital and UX design skill-set, and inspire them to be master problem-solvers, by finding design solutions to business opportunities.
- Owning fiscal responsibility for both plant and operating budgets
- Collaborating to create and then executing the vision for multiple product lines
- Providing elegant product and experience design while understanding constraints and optimizing opportunities
- Leading concurrent development of multiple projects through strategic resource planning and coordination
- Providing an environment where designers thrive, are inspired, and skill sets are continually growing
- Communicating clearly and timely with Executive Design Director, cross-functional partners, and stakeholders across departments to ensure team alignment
- Providing recommendations, along with other stakeholders, and feedback on new and existing products; apply knowledge of the teaching and learning cycle, with data from iterative research and analytics, to ensure a comprehensive view of the entire experience is articulated and is effective, engaging, easy to use, and efficient for both teachers and students.
- Work with the UX team in School to establish:
- consistent approaches to patterns in print, digital, and mobile, founded in research and best practice.
- a methodology, with clearly articulated processes and deliverables, that can be used to convert ideas into elegant program experience applying effective visualization techniques to communicate at all phases of development.
- new workflows and strategies to support user-centered design, including iterative research in collaboration with Strategy and Analytics, Academic Design, and Learning Science teams.
- key prototypes and research activities across print, digital, and mobile. These prototypes will be used to drive internal requirements and to serve as the source for testing research.
- a consistent user experience within and across School programs.
The Design Director must be able to translate complex problems, work in a highly collaborative environment, and yield product designs that put the educator and student at their core. He or she must be able to build relationships, challenge assumptions, solve problems, and juggle competing priorities in compressed timelines. The Director must be proficient in technology, the application of user-centered design research to improve products under development, and have strong presentation and exceptional communication skills. The Director must be must be able to work and lead teams across different locations and organizational structures seamlessly.
Leading by influence as well as authority will be a key factor in the success of this role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Digital Design, Human Centered Design, or related field required . MFA or advanced degree a plus.
- Minimum of five years’ experience leading product designs that include the user experience of educational products. Experience with both digital and print preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with Creative and/or Marketing leads to establish and execute on program vision.
- Demonstrated success leading design efforts across multiple products to achieve a central solution required.
- Experience managing concurrent development of multiple projects within tight deliverables and budgets.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated use of UX and UI design practices and deliverables.
- Demonstrated experience working in an agile environment preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with user-centered design.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here http://bit.ly/2zcMQZn to learn more!
North America-United States-New York-New York City, North America-United States-Illinois-Chicago, North America-United States-Washington-Seattle