VP, Formative Assessment - New York City, NY
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Vice President, Formative Assessment preferred to sit in our New York, NY location, but open to our Columbus, OH, Seattle, WA, Boston, MA, and Chicago, IL hubs, as well as a Remote home office. Does this sound like you?
Reporting to the Chief Academic Officer, the VP, Formative Assessment will be responsible to propel MHE’s excellence in formative assessment for preK-12 product development, including assessment products in the areas of mathematics, science, literacy, humanities, and intervention. You will lead the strategy for all School curriculum assessment offerings, including for the adaptive platform integration. As the Vice President, your team is responsible for the execution of a formative assessment strategy that provides feedback to teachers and students during instruction such that they can adjust ongoing teaching and learning to improve students’ achievement. Specifically, you will lead a team responsible for designing and validating content items to support existing assessment solutions, engineering and testing models for formative assessment that are deeply aligned to the market needs and educational measurement standards, digital development requirements, and reporting requirements set by product portfolio management. You will lead a team of assessment professionals who research, write, and own assessment development for programs, components, and platform feature requirements. Your knowledge of educational technology, product development, classroom teaching, and measurement theory will combine with market inputs to develop and deliver product solutions that are effective, engaging, efficient, and easy to use.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Leadership: recruit, retain, and develop a strong team of formative assessment leaders. Establish an environment of problem-solving while maintaining discipline, productivity, and accountability. You must be energized through meaningful collaboration with cross-functional teams, including product management, business managers, and platform developers.
- Strategy: define and drive a research-based formative assessment content development strategy that delivers measurable business results; execute multi-year portfolio plans through all stages of the product development life cycle, including solution design, implementation, iterations, and maintenance; establish a cohesive educational measurement and assessment model that meets current standards, meets business metrics/goals, and establishes intended measurable impact for efficacy on instruction.
- Efficacy: execute a research-based strategy in development of formative assessments with the goals of informing teachers, supporting student learning, and driving curricular and instructional improvements
- Financials: Manage and monitor plant and operating expenses to drive product delivery, including timelines, costs (including vendor and content item authoring management) and product requirements, in order to release a quality product on time and on budget.
- Product Execution: lead a cross-functional team to design and deliver all print and digital assessment components aligned with market and educational measurement standards; leverage standard/enterprise technologies and utilize authoring capabilities to drive efficiencies, including accessibility; utilize data from continuous and rapid testing to make decisions about product iterations.
- Leadership: outline, develop, and execute a strong plan for standardizing item validation and reliability testing for operational excellence, including foundational and applied statistical psychometric work.
- Strategy: identify, define, monitor, and coordinate key elements of large-scale iterative test development; establish a cohesive set of standard operating procedures and tools (e.g., calibration, equating, scaling, scoring, reports, test form assembly, computer adaptive testing).
- Financials and Metrics: Align, monitor, and report the success metrics for formative assessment development, including for content development, schedule, plant forecasting, and digital content build for all components.
- Product Development Execution: lead training efforts across cross-functional teams and disciplines to implement and standardize product development operations, including assessment pool composition guidelines, scoring and reporting protocols, and internal documentation.
RESEARCH SCIENCE & PROCESS AUTOMATION:
- Leadership: outline, develop, and execute a strong plan for standardizing engineering, analytics and automation.
- Represent McGraw-Hill Education at industry conferences and forums.
- Product Development Execution: establish and extend protocols and roadmap for data analyses, modeling, and visualization. Establish a vision for how to best employ data and analytics technologies to business needs.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Ph.D. in Educational Measurement, Educational Psychology, Statistics or closely related field preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- Proven leadership and management of large, diverse organizations with results of problem-solving and change management.
- Ten plus years of experience leading product development teams.
- Demonstrated understanding of preK-12 classroom realities, including recent shifts in measurement, evaluation and assessment trends, as well as anticipated shifts in research and policy.
- Demonstrated technical expertise and experience in statistical processes and modeling for an array of test and assessment types.
- Practical business sense, fiscal skills, and comfort with accountability; understanding of the economics and dynamics of the industry.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to a variety of audiences, including executive leadership, customers, and professional organizations (strong relationships with educational measurement thought leaders and academic community).
- Strong skills in stakeholder management and internal evangelism.
- Confident, objective, inquisitive, motivated self-starter.
- Proven ability to inspire, influence and negotiate.
- Experience with agile and digital product development a plus.
- Global mindset.
- Travel as required.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here to learn more!
North America-United States-Ohio-Columbus, North America-United States, North America-United States-Illinois-Chicago, North America-United States-Washington-Seattle, North America-United States-Massachusetts-Boston