Site Reliability Engineer - Seattle, WA
The next generation of our products are delivering engaging, adaptive, and personalized learning experiences to optimally support every learner. We are hiring a Site Reliability Engineer who will work with system and software engineers to build reliable, high capacity and high-performance systems in support of our mission to reimagine learning for millions of students and learners worldwide. This position will be located at our Seattle, WA facility.
Our Digital Platforms Group creates and builds data-driven digital products that enhance teaching and improve learning outcomes. In addition, the team conducts research and development targeted at new market opportunities in the quickly evolving education technology space.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will help design, analyze and resolve issues with infrastructure in collaboration with product development teams; you will design, deploy and manage automation tools that increase predictability as well as decrease time to market while reducing cost.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Hands-on design, analysis and troubleshooting of highly-distributed large-scale production systems;
- Ownership of reliability, uptime, capacity- and performance-analysis thereof
- Ensuring the repeatability, traceability, and transparency of our infrastructure automation including alignment with MHE standards and best practices for operational excellence
- Identifying highest-impact opportunities to optimize existing systems
- System design consulting for teams seeking to leverage or improve their production infrastructure
- Anticipate, build and plan capacity for upcoming product/feature launches
- Responsible for fully operationalizing software/systems projects including security requirements
- Expertise with cloud- continuous-deployment- based software development lifecycles (e.g. CI/CD)
- Mastery of infrastructure automation technologies (like Terraform, CodeDeploy, Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- Expertise in container/container-fleet-orchestration technologies (like Docker, Vagrant, Mesosphere, etcd, zookeeper)
- Cloud and container native Linux administration/build/management skills (e.g. AWS AMIs, Packer, etc.)
- Cloud database operations and deployment experience (e.g. RDS MySQL/Postgres/Aurora), Caching operations & deployment experience (e.g. memcache, Redis)
- Expertise with Lean/Agile deployment processes (Blue/Green, ZDT, canary, load balancers/DNS strategies)
- Familiarity with site and infrastructure monitoring systems (like AWS Cloudwatch, Datadog, New Relic, Sumologic)
- Strong problem solving, root cause analysis and systems engineering skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong skills in reading, understanding and writing code in the same
- Ability to design and manage escalation response plans from monitoring, react, respond, remediate and retrospect in culturally aligned (proactive, customer focused, collaborative, data-driven) ways
- Demonstrated expertise building and managing highly scaled production infrastructure in the cloud (AWS required; GCP, Azure, OpenStack a plus)
- Expertise with SDLC branching, SCM, and code deployment systems (e.g. git/gitflow, Jenkins, CircleCI, TravisCI, etc.)
- BS Degree in Computer Science (or related technical field and/or equivalent industry experience)
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here to learn more!