Senior Technical Business Analyst - Blacklick, OH
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Senior Technical Business Analyst in our Blacklick, OH office. Does this sound like you?
Reporting to the Business Application Manager, the Senior Technical Business Analyst is a critical member of the McGraw-Hill Education Global Technology Solutions (GTS) team. The GTS team is responsible for the key operations and functions of all critical applications that support McGraw-Hill Education business operations. Application areas that GTS supports include Product Data Hub, Order Management and Distribution, Supply Chain, Finance, Salesforce Management, Royalty Management, Rights & Permissions Management, and Master Data Management. Primary responsibilities of the group include the integration and functional operations of all back office applications (Oracle ERP and other) with business unit applications, websites, and learning platforms as necessary. The Senior Technical Business Analyst will work as a liaison between business users and offshore vendors in order to deliver high quality solutions.
This critical role within the Global Technology Services Organization is responsible for assisting the Oracle EBS Application Team in identifying and delivering innovative enterprise technology solutions to meet strategic business needs. This role will be responsible translating high-level business needs into detailed requirements and to work with the appropriate application architects and developers to produce clear and accurate functional and technical specifications documents in order to define appropriate solutions to diverse problems. A primary function will be to perform technical design and code reviews to ensure optimal technical procedures are utilized. This role will also play a key part in helping to drive testing of new system changes by working with our business counterparts to facilitate User Acceptance Testing activities.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Support software implementation projects for the GTS department related to McGraw-Hill’s Oracle back-office functions as needed
- Conduct reviews of technical designs validating them against functional designs, identify gaps and ensure best practices are followed in the designs.
- Conduct code reviews validating them against the technical designs, identify gaps and ensure best practices are followed in the code.
- Conducts reviews and analysis of business and information technology processes and solicits client requirements through interviews, workshops and/or existing systems documentation or procedures.
- Identifies customer requirements, writes functional designs, reviews technical designs, develops test scripts, reviews testing plans and tracks and documents the development and results of these plans.
- Evaluates business requirements for enterprise business applications integration and service activation, while delivering new or modified software systems enhancements and/or integrated solutions.
- Participates in the definition, testing, training, implementation, and support of system requirements.
- Alerts project managers to potential risks and issues of importance.
- Responsible for reviewing technical designs validating them against functional designs, identify gaps and ensure best practices are followed in the designs.
- Responsible for code reviews validating them against the technical designs, identify gaps and ensure best practices are followed in the code.
- Responsible for the test execution of existing and new functionality in applications and systems. Ensure that the applications function as specified in the documented requirements, use cases, design, and other documentation.
- Utilize test tools to record defects and issues, update/create test cases, and to track test case execution status.
- Work with users to define and document system requirements for new implementations and enhancements. Facilitate requirements gathering and design sessions, review design documentation with users and developers, prepare process and data models, prioritize system functionality based on requirements and coordinate User Acceptance Test activities.
- Provide functional and application expertise among a team of business solution analysts and functional solution architects to provide solutions to diverse problems for our business unit’s professionals in McGraw-Hill Education (Oracle e-Business Application suite or other)
- Work with the project manager to define, communicate and manage Risk Plans, Communication Plans, etc….
- Liaison between the project and other GTS and business unit organizations. Responsible for ensuring other departments that may be impacted by the project are informed, expectations are set, etc…
- Responsible for the quality of the solution delivered and ensuring it meets the business expectations
- Responsible for defining and communicating the process and organizational impacts of the new technology solution
- Work with the business teams to understand organizational & business process change management impacts due to the new technology
- Work with the offshore vendor teams (such as TCS or others) on requirements documentation, functional design, assembly testing, and User Acceptance Testing of enhancements/upgrades to related applications (Oracle or other)
- Determine underlying issues to common business problems and use appropriate influencing, negotiation, and change management techniques to implement best practice solutions.
- Work with the Business Leadership to identify strategic business needs, high level requirements, potential technology solutions and business benefits for enterprise application projects.
- Work with MHE leadership and project managers to develop a high level scope, budget, project plan, resource plan, etc….
- Work with the business units to define the business case for approval and funding.
- Assist in the evaluation/selection of implementation services providers
- Establish Domain expertise in all the relevant back office systems as needed to support project initiatives
- Promote knowledge sharing of best practices across the Global Technology Solutions organization
- Utilize project management processes and methodologies for IT that ensure projects are delivered on-time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards, and meet the customer's expectations
- May be required to deliver project implementation from ‘cradle to grave’.
- May also be required to perform some hardware planning in addition to software application development
- Degree in Management Information Systems / Computer Science (or equivalent), MBA is desirable or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6 yrs. of experience implementing Enterprise Business Systems in large global organizations
- Prior implementation of large scale Oracle EBS (R12 preferred but 11i acceptable) application is required, multiple implementations preferred
- Multiple years of large scale Oracle EBS (R12 preferred but 11i acceptable) experience are preferred.
- Proven track record of successfully aligning technology around strategic business goals in large global organizations
- Thorough understanding of application development and testing lifecycle, preferably working in Offshore/Outsourcing development and support models
- Prior Tier 1 Consulting experience is highly desirable
- Knowledge of a broad range of business processes with understanding of impacts to financial processes
- Background in the Publishing or Media & Entertainment industry (or similar) is desirable.
- Proven analytical, decision making & judgment skills, leadership, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people in challenging and complex endeavors, as demonstrated by successful team experience.
- Proven ability to work directly and communicate effectively with all levels and groups across the organization and provide useful information and explanations about technical issues in a complete, accurate, and understandable manner.
- Experience performing detailed data analysis, including ability to create, run, and modify SQL queries
- Thorough understanding of global reporting requirements and corresponding Business Intelligence tools is a plus
- Experience in creating and implementing business processes is a plus.
- Experience in Project Management is a plus.
- Strong business and analytical skills in order to define Return On Investment (ROI) from business requirements.
- Strong technical and analytical skills in order to assess technical design and code to ensure that the functional designs were translated properly and that technical best practices are followed.
- Strong business and analytical skills in order to assess business requests and translate the information into business requirements that can be used by either the onshore or offshore development resources to create an effective application solution.
- Excellent communication skills are also required, written and oral, to effectively describe application capabilities to the business teams, helping them achieve the highest level of benefits from the functionality provided by the application.
- This position will need to be able to review symptoms and communicate effectively through the proper support channel and process in order to isolate and discern the actual issue that is causing the symptoms (root cause analysis).
- This position must then be able to provide an overall context to the problem for anyone they involve in resolving the problem, as well as communicating the resolution, any interim steps, and required user interactions required as part of the final resolution.
- The ability to organize and lead a team or set of business users to accomplish clearly defined goals.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here to learn more!