Editor-Sr - New York City, NY
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Senior Acquisitions Editor developing in our New York City office locations. This individual will be responsible for acquiring, developing, and publishing Electrical and Electronics Engineering content in the engineering program of McGraw-Hill Professional’s Technical Group, with expectations for annual growth and new product development. Does this sound like you?
Our Professional team develops and distributes market-leading medical, technical, engineering and business content in print and digital formats for the professional, education and test preparation communities.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- This editor will have an annual goal of signing 15 - 20 contracts.
- The editor will be responsible for all pipeline and frontlist content management as the point person for authors.
- The editor must be able to articulate their programs, projects, content, and strategy through excellent written and oral communications skills.
- The editor will be responsible for networking within the community identified with this program by attending trade shows, conferences and through campus visits in order to; 1) strengthen overall market and competitive knowledge; 2) build relationships with key associations and subject matter experts; and 3) translate this knowledge into business plans for program growth.
- Editors must be able to successfully negotiate author contracts, including advances, royalty rates, licensing, etc. The goal in negotiating each contract is to keep financial exposure/risk to a minimum, by offering advances well under the first year royalty payout as indicated on the P&L.
- Editor will be responsible for mastering the AccessEngineering platform and developing appropriate print and media content for it.
- Editor will be responsible for mastering existing systems (PDH and iPub) and the use of these tools to manage projects internally.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Minimum three to five years of related acquisitions experience in the electrical and electronics engineering or other related engineering or technical content markets.
- Experience building/maintaining a network and identifying and working with technical subject matter experts.
- Experience working with technical associations highly desirable.
- Strong communication and project management skills.
- Ability to complete research and analysis and to decide what content to publish in each of the topic areas assigned.
- Ability to immerse into the specialized engineering communities served by McGraw-Hill, and translate understanding of those communities’ needs into content development programs.
- Ability to work with authors to get the right content and positioning, guide the authors through the publishing process, get manuscripts ready in a form and style acceptable to our production department, etc.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? We make your life easier and better, and you, smarter. Click here to learn more!