Big Data Developer - Noida, India
The BI Developer – Big Data in Global Technology Services is responsible for supporting McGraw-Hill Education’s (MHE) business intelligence and data services capabilities and to provide actionable, timely information to drive accurate financial reporting, performance monitoring and facilitate business decisions. The position requires hands-on duties with an emphasis in developing dynamic reporting solutions to be successful.
Your contribution to the team will include:
1. Analyze and translate business requirements to functional specifications and provide recommendations for best reporting solution design.
2. Develop functional and technical design specifications and documents.
3. Design and implement Hadoop architectures and configurations using best practices
4. Analyze complex distributed production deployments, and make recommendations to optimize performance
5. Interact with client, developers and IT peers to ensure the successful delivery and implementation of modifications into the production environment.
6. Analyze problem statements, suggest various options to address the problem specifying functionality, integrating systems, applying patches and participating in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Knowledge & Experience required for this role:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- 5+ years in business and information technology support with a focus on developing and delivering Business Intelligence and Analytic reporting solutions to enable decision making
- 3+ years of experience implementing “Big-Data” applications in MapR, Hadoop, etc.
- 3+ years of experience working as a Software Developer using Java, R or Python.
- 3+ years of experience creating and working with large data sets.
- 2+ years of experience working in Shell scripting.
- Strong hands-on experience across multiple Data Analytic, Business Intelligence, Big Data & Data Warehousing solutions
- Strong hands-on experience with SQL and statistical programming languages and software packages such as SAS, SPSS, R, and/or Python
- Experience with data loading tools like Flume, Sqoop.
- Knowledge of workflow/schedulers like Oozie.
- Experience in writing Pig Latin scripts
- Experience in HiveQL and analysis using HIVE QL
- Strong Knowledge of Data Warehouse architecture and Data Modelling concepts is required
- Demonstrable familiarity with multiple machine learning algorithms
- Experience with one or more applications in production employing machine learning with Big Data
- Prior hands-on experience designing, administering, and implementing reporting solutions using: Business Objects, TM1, or equivalent is a plus
- Prior hands-on experience designing, administering, and implementing data integration tools using: Informatica, Alteryx, Pentaho Data Integration, Oracle Data Integrator, or Talend, etc is a plus
- Prios hands-on experience with Data Visualization and analytical reporting/dash boarding tools like Tableau, Qlikview, or equivalent is a plus
- Experience leveraging Cloud computing solutions and architectures is a plus
- Strong hands-on experience across multiple Data Analytic, Business Intelligence, Big Data & Data Warehousing solutions is a plus
- Strong hands-on data modeling experience using (Kimball, Inman) Data Warehousing best practices is a plus
Skills / Capabilities:
- Analytical and problem solving skills, applied to Big Data domain with proven experience using Hadoop, HBase, Hive, Pig, and HBase.
- Ability to design and develop data structures and ETL processes in a SQL Server environment
- Ability to design and develop data structures and ETL processes using HIVE, hBASE, PIG Scripts, Java functions
- SQL, NoSQL experience is required
- Strong knowledge of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Familiarity and experience with creating analytical data sets
- Working knowledge of machine learning and statistical analysis methods
- Strong familiarity of the BI industry, and have understanding and experience in Big Data with Teradata or Hadoop technologies
- Proven skills in managing large data volumes for analysis; must have experience in determining the precise meaning of data in a complex enterprise system landscape and data flow
- Proficiency in the features and use of reporting/analytics tools like Business Object, Tableau and Dashboards
- Knowledge in data mining analytics, decision / pattern analysis and text mining
- Ability to develop code taking into consideration the "ilities” – scalability, reliability, maintainability, flexibility
- Ability to create robust and scalable designs that are easily incorporated into the feature and meets customer requirements
- Ability to develop exemplary code for multiple feature components that meets the company's best practice standards
- Ability to deliver code that is stable, secure, on schedule and contained minimal bugs
- Ability to write unit tests for each function for the feature component that effectively exercises the code, surfaces bugs or design issues and integrates with or complements those used by Test organization
- Ability to develop code for feature component conforms to group coding standards, is consistent with product design and architecture goals, does not repeat mistakes, and meets schedule and quality expectations
- Complete understanding of BI concepts, best practices, etc.
- Proven ability to translate business objectives to technology solutions
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills - including oral and written communications, relationship building, collaboration, influencing, negotiation and conflict mediation - across a broad range of levels in the organization
· Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to function in fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Proven ability to evaluate existing BI & data architectures and to define a strategy for improvement
- Self-motivated and well-organized; able to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including effective meeting management; prepare and present (PowerPoint/Visio); documentation templates for various procedures when needed
- Ability to work dynamically in both team and independent environments is necessary
- Ability to pick up complex concepts and processes quickly
McGraw-Hill Education is a learning science company that delivers personalised learning experiences that help students, parents, educators and professionals drive results. If you possess excellent attention to detail and have outstanding communication skills, we want to talk to you.