Director, Platform Engineering - New York City, NY
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Director, Platform Engineering in our New York City office. Does this sound like you?
Director of Platform Engineering is a high-energy position in a high-velocity organization that requires someone who is agile, creative, and confident. Overall responsibilities include delivering world class web based software and leading engineering group. In this role, you will recommend/lead solutions for enhancing product reliability and technical delivery efforts of multiple teams providing the technology that enables our customers to be successful.
- As member of the Platform Engineering team, this position is responsible for performance and reliability of web application and components being utilized by customer facing products. The technology decisions this position makes will have multi-year impact on the organization and directly affect the amount of re-engineering and ongoing support (also known as “Technical Debt”).
- Decide on systems architecture, development approach and possible code reuse for new web services, ensuring proper scalability. Find balance between scaling the system to allow for growth while taking financial implications under consideration to avoid overbuilding the system.
- Creates coding guidelines, selects frameworks, monitors code deliveries and quality. Conducts technical design reviews and code reviews with project teams to ensure platform services are being built using MHE accepted best practices and following defined design patterns.
- Partner with project and product managers to manage projects from inception to execution and production support stages. Establish a process for accepting work from the product development teams into the Engineering organization including minimum requirements for successful transition, storyboards, function points, cost estimates, timelines, design and construction.
- Take input from customer requirements, business needs, operational support, and technical limitations and design scalable / sustainable platform services that serve the needs of multiple products and/or customers. Develops a strategy for delivering product which encourages product agility and improves time to market.
- Current knowledge of latest trends in web application development.
- Ability to present and communicate own ideas.
- Ability to multi-task and to meet established deadlines.
- Work with all parties involved on application and web component development efforts to gather requirements, give estimates and improve offerings.
- Manage a team of onsite and offsite software engineers. Provide ongoing development and coaching to establish world-class development team.
- Propose technical vision for group and implement software best practices. Drive innovation in technology, tools, and iterative processes.
- Exceptional problem solving, analytic and diagnostic skill.
- Experience developing solutions within the AWS service architecture, product offerings, and solutions.
- Experience developing highly scalable & composable RESTfull (and non) APIs between internal and external service layers using industry standards.
- Knowledge of a variety of data delivery and orchestration technologies.
- Redis, Hadoop, Kafka, Elasticache, Node.Js.
- Database concepts, methodologies and data constructs; relational and object, Oracle, MySQL, no-SQL, JSON, deployment topologies, etc.
- Knowledge of web frameworks such as Angular, Ember, Backbone, etc.
- Weblogic, Apache, Tomcat.
- Containerization technologies - Docker, ECS, Kubernetes.
- Experience in working im Continuous integration and delivery environment, Blue/Green Deployment methodologies.
- Masters of Science (MS) degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years’ experience leading engineering teams in cloud based highly distributed product delivery systems environments.
- Extensive experience with Agile SDLC.
- Experience having shipped software products leading an Agile team.
- Expert understanding of Spring MVC, Struts 2, Tiles, JUnit, TestNG, jMock and other Java related frameworks.
- Strong experience with MySQL, Oracle and related persistence technologies.
- Knowledge of software engineering industry standards, best practices, automation frameworks, productivity measurements and development tools.
- Strong people management skills - ability to successfully manage up, down, and across the organization
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Team player who must also be able to work independently and be able to communicate extremely well at all levels of both corporate structure and customer hierarchy.
- Must be able to learn new technologies and tools rapidly.
- Able to clearly document solutions and communicate status and resolution.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including periods of high volume.
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here to learn more!