Senior Project Manager / Scrum Master - Boston, MA
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Senior Project Manager / Scrum Master preferred in our Boston, MA office but open to our New York City location as well. Does this sound like you?
Our Digital Platforms Group creates and builds data-driven digital products that enhance teaching and improve learning outcomes. In addition, the team conducts research and development targeted at new market opportunities in the quickly evolving education technology space.
The Senior Project Manager (SPjM) is responsible for planning, scheduling, and tracking of multiple projects in MHe's Digital Platform Group (DPG). These projects may be related and part of a larger program of projects. This role will partner with technical product management, architecture, engineering, and the business to provide leadership in delivering innovative digital solutions to our customers. This position will not only focus on the planning, communication and coordination of the project but also beyond the end date to the transitional and operational elements. This role requires a strong user focus.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Chief promise keeper for projects keeping an end to end perspective for the teams. Ultimately responsible for delivery of projects by driving quarterly commitments to completion on time, on budget, and on quality. Will management projects directly or provide leadership to Project Coordinators/Managers assigned to this project or related projects.
- Champion agile methodologies throughout the development process and adherence to the DPG SDLC - this will include leading at least two scrum teams and/or scrum of scrums.
- Ensures projects do not start without proper initiation according to the DPG SDLC including roadmap prioritization, documented charter, iteration 0 and dependency identification. Clearly understand how projects fit into the programs and platform they are a part of.
- Own and manage communication plan across project. Track key decisions in decision log to ensure visibility and traceability to key decisions made. Proactively removes impediments to ensure successful delivery of team commitments. Owns and drives issue resolution and risk mitigation.
- Responsible for coordinating the successful release of projects including documented release plan, detailed deployment plans, and production support plans.
- Facilitator of efficient meetings and follow up
- Open style of communication to foster flow of ideas and build consensus across the project
- Cross-disciplinary understanding of product management, software development, and quality assurance
- Accurate reporting on project status and project updates using the DPG tools and processes. Understands tools needed for both project and program management and that data is properly and timely updated (e.g. decision log, issues log, risk log, JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field preferred. Advanced degree is a plus.
- In depth knowledge of software development and adoption, ideally in Ed Tech
- Project Management experience required demonstrated by 5-7 years as Project Manager. Exposure to agile project management environment is required. Scrummaster experience is required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification is a plus
- PMI Agile Certified Practioner (PMI-ACP) certification is a plus
- Self-motivated and well-organized; able to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, negotiation, conflict management, communications, organizational and critical thinking
- Experience in consulting working with business partners, external vendors utilizing both traditional and rapid/lightweight project management is desired
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Be able to work with cross-functional teams in an agile software development environment
- Be acutely aware of cross-project and cross-team interdependencies and communicate accordingly to expose potential risks and escalate issues across impacted projects and teams
- Be able to lead disbursed team members across offices/time-zones
- Be able to adapt to changes in business opportunities and business priorities
- Be able to manage discussions to set project expectations and project priorities
- Be able to own and drive issues and risks to resolution/mitigation
- Be able to proactively remove impediments to ensure successful delivery of team commitment
- Be able to mentor Project Coordinators/Managers
Why work for McGraw-Hill Education? You’ll have the opportunity to unlock your potential, both professional and personally. Click here to learn more!
North America-United States-New York-New York City