(Jr-Sr) Database Administrator - Dubuque, IA
We strive to hire extraordinary, diverse, talented, passionate individuals to help change the way we learn. Because learning changes everything.
Do you have a global perspective and are passionate about succeeding? If so, then let’s talk!
McGraw-Hill Education is a learning science company that delivers personalized learning experiences that help students, parents, educators and professionals drive results. McGraw-Hill Education has offices across North America, India, China, Europe, the Middle East and South America, and makes its learning solutions available in nearly 60 languages.
What will you get out of your career at McGraw-Hill Education?
- You’ll receive a robust compensation package, 401(k) match, medical/dental/optical insurance and more.
- We all need some time to recharge once in a while. All full-time employees are eligible to receive paid time off, in addition to 10 company-paid holidays per year and a generous sick time policy.
- Eager for a personal and professional development fix? Benefit from online educational programs and/or a generous tuition reimbursement program.
- Are you passionate? If so, you’ll be part of collaborative, creative and purposeful teams who have a history of promoting from within.
- Every position at McGraw-Hill Education makes an impact on the future of education.
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic (Jr-Sr) Database Administrator preferred to work in our Dubuque, IA office, but open to our East Windsor, NJ and Blacklick, OH offices, or Remote work as well. Does this sound like you?
The Database Administrator can be a junior to senior level resource that will work with a team responsible for the management of RDBMS systems supporting business systems applications. They will work with the database engineering team to develop, configure, patch and support RDBMS systems. This position requires solid knowledge of relational database technologies and hands-on experience building and managing enterprise RDBMS applications. Applicants should be skilled with Oracle 10g RAC, Oracle 11g GRID, and Oracle clusterware and ASM.
- Participate on the team responsible for the administration and support functions related to RDBMS systems. Participate in root cause analysis activities. Participate in rotating 24 by 7 on-call operational support of the database systems as scheduled. Participate on teams that are responsible for “run” functions related to database architecture. Participate with diverse development and support teams to provide guidance on database issues, performance and scalability. Participate in rotating on-call support.
- Perform support activities such as database software installation and configuration. Ensure database activities meet all MHE security standards. Ensure data structures support the changing needs of the business. Ensure the reliability of the databases in the production environment.
- Work closely with system, network, and SAN administrators to support highly available and scalable solutions. Provide support on database software patching and database life cycle management per MHE policy. Serve as a technical database resource on development teams as required.
- Test, implement and support remediation plans as they relate to database support issues.
- Interpret business trends to ascertain appropriate optimization of application ecosystems, supporting cost effective solutions and continuous improvement through database design and implementation.
- Review and implement schema designs and DDL. Support application load testing activities. Create, develop and maintain database documentation. Other duties as specified.
A successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management Information Systems, Computer Science preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 1-5 years’ experience as a DBA in an RDBMS environment.
- RDBMS experience including technology competencies including, Oracle RAC, MS SQL Server, MySQL, MySQL clustering, and Mark Logic.
- Architecture and design experience for Database systems technologies, with SME knowledge in one or more database related technologies.
- Experience in application development life-cycle and alternative SDLC methodologies such as Agile.
- Experience with performance tuning and scaling production databases.
- Experience with one more of the following cloud computing technologies and environments: Amazon Web Services (AWS), EC2, Oracle Cloud, S2, Elastic IPs, EBS, Security Groups and VPC.
- Experience with PostresSQL, Aurora RDS, MySQL RDS or Oracle Cloud environments is a plus.
- Excellent problem solving and root cause analysis skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently yet in a team environment with local and remote teams.
- If you’re interested in this position, submit your resume.
- We’ll review your resume, and if you might be a match, we’ll contact you.
- After our first conversation, you may be invited to interview with others at McGraw-Hill Education. This is your time to shine!
- If you’re eager, dynamic and ultimately a good fit, you’ll be afforded the opportunity to change the future of education.
Join a team of those who want to make a difference in education, are intellectually curious and have integrity! We can offer a means for you to achieve the goals you want to accomplish in your career. Please apply – right now – we can’t wait to meet you!
McGraw-Hill Education is an EOE/Male/Female/Disability/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodations due to disability, please email TalentAcquisition@mheducation.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
North America-United States-New Jersey-East Windsor, North America-United States-Ohio-Blacklick