Sr Accountant - Whitby, ON
Do you have a global perspective and are passionate about succeeding? If so, then let’s talk!
At McGraw-Hill Education, we’re accelerating learning to unlock the full potential of every learner. It’s this vision that sets us apart, contributing to a brighter future where the science of learning meets the art of teaching. We’re harnessing technology to enhance learning, both inside and outside of the classroom, deepening the connections between students and educators to empower greater success.
In fact, we also look for ways to better ourselves. As an MHE colleague, you’ll focus on aligning yourself to four Core Competencies to better anticipate customer needs, more fully engage across our organization, execute with agility and create better products for the educators and learners we touch.
If you’re smart, curious, and passionate about education – join us as we open doors. You’ll work in an enriching, collaborative environment where we create opportunities for learners and celebrate successes. Why? Because learning changes everything.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Sr. Accountant will be responsible for preparing, processing and posting journal entries. Accounting knowledge, accuracy, and timeliness are key to this function. Management of assigned general ledger accounts. This is a key function to ensure clean internal and external audits. Accounts must be reconciled monthly in both Oracle and Atlas (Corporate general ledger system) in Canadian and US dollars.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Prepare any layer cost updates required in order to correctly reflect the cost in Oracle
- Work with the EDP team to ensure that any new processes are completed correctly and are properly recorded in the general ledger & subledger.
- Prepare monthly inventory reporting packages for timely distribution to management team, and investigate any large variances or unusual items.
- Compare inventory amounts on the All Inventories Value Report (AIVR) to the material distributions each month to ensure consistency
- Compare inventory amounts on AIVR to excess inventory report each month to ensure consistency
- Compare inventory amount recorded in general ledger to the subledger to ensure all transactions were recorded correctly.
- Inter Company Accounting: Prepare and reconcile intercompany accounts payable and receivables with parent company and subsidiaries.
- Ensure intercompany invoices are paid and received in accordance with the timelines outlined in the contracts. Prepare monthly intercompany statements for timely distribution to US and subsidiaries.
- Prepare remittance advice for wire payments made to intercompany companies. Monitor and prepare freight charge analysis from intercompany transactions to management team
- University Degree, College Diploma or equivalent years of experience
- 2 plus years accounting experience
- CPA designation or near completion
- Superb communication (oral and written) interpersonal, analytical, and time management skills
- Possess a strong understanding of accounting theory and the CICA Handbook
- The willingness to learn and to teach others new concepts
- Skilled in MS Office applications with advanced expertise in Excel
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy
- Proactive; willing to take initiative
- Strong analytical skill
If you’re interested in this position, submit your resume.
We’ll review your resume, and if you might be a match, we’ll contact you.
After our first conversation, you may be invited to interview with others at McGraw-Hill Education. This is your time to shine!
If you’re eager, dynamic and ultimately a good fit, you’ll be afforded the opportunity to change the future of education.
Join a team of those who want to make a difference in education, are intellectually curious and have integrity! We can offer a means for you to achieve the goals you want to accomplish in your career. Please apply – right now – we can’t wait to meet you!