Contract Manager - Chicago, IL
At McGraw-Hill Education, we’re accelerating learning to unlock the full potential of every learner. It’s this vision that sets us apart, contributing to a brighter future where the science of learning improves educational outcomes. We’re harnessing technology to enhance learning, both inside and outside of the classroom, deepening the connections between students and educators to empower greater success.
In fact, we also look for ways to better ourselves. As an MHE colleague, you’ll focus on aligning yourself to four Core Competencies to better anticipate customer needs, more fully engage across our organization, execute with agility and create better products for the educators and learners we touch. We strive to hire extraordinary, diverse, talented, passionate individuals to help change the way we learn.
If you’re smart, curious, and passionate about education – join us as we open doors. You’ll work in an enriching, collaborative environment where we create opportunities for learners and celebrate successes. Why? Because learning changes everything.
Do you have a global perspective and are passionate about succeeding? If so, then let’s talk!
McGraw-Hill Education is a learning science company that delivers personalized learning experiences that help students, parents, educators and professionals drive results. McGraw-Hill Education has offices across North America, India, China, Europe, the Middle East and South America, and makes its learning solutions available in nearly 60 languages.
What will you get out of your career at McGraw-Hill Education?
- You’ll receive a robust compensation package, 401(k) match, medical/dental/optical insurance and more.
- We all need some time to recharge once in a while. All full-time employees are eligible to receive paid time off, in addition to 10 company-paid holidays per year and a generous sick time policy.
- Eager for a personal and professional development fix? Benefit from online educational programs and/or a generous tuition reimbursement program.
- Are you passionate? If so, you’ll be part of collaborative, creative and purposeful teams who have a history of promoting from within.
- Every position at McGraw-Hill Education makes an impact on the future of education.
The Contract Manager performs, leads and supports the tasks, relationship building, personal interaction and processes required to produce the revenue contracts and associated documents, in accordance with company policies that govern MHHE contracts and contracting practices and processes, for use by MHHE to achieve its financial and business interests, protect its intellectual Property (IP) and satisfy the requirements of its customers.
- Contract requirements review, contract creation, negotiation, drafting, securing stakeholder and leadership review of and finalizing contracts for the licensing, rental and sale of MHHE products and services. Contracts include subscription agreements, product purchase agreements distribution agreements and related statements of work, data privacy and security agreements, NDAs, and MOUs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Engagement of MHHE stakeholders in contract strategy meetings to identify key MHHE and customer requirements, deliverables, discounts, timelines, risk and risk mitigation plans;
- Generation of standard MHHE revenue contracts for the licensing, rental and sale of MHHE subscribed materials, products and services;
- Development, or leading the development of revenue contract negotiation strategies.
- Negotiation of MHHE revenue contracts as individual contributor or as team leader
- Drafting of modifications to standard MHHE contract templates and simple to complex nonstandard terms with support from and or review by MHE legal, subject matter experts and stakeholders as required.
- Completes and delivers benefit/cost/risks analysis briefings and recommendations on the key aspects of negotiated revenue contracts to various levels of MHHE organizations up to and including MHE senior leadership team
- Higher Education Institution Data Security and Privacy Compliance Terms
- Review, negotiate, revise and finalize Higher Education Institution contracts and addendums for MHE compliance with Data Security and Privacy Terms.
- Provide specific written responses to the requirements
- Review the business and contract requirements in Higher Education Institution Requests for Information and Requests for Proposals.
- Provide specific written responses to the requirements.
- Maintain Contract Management Process
- Assist leader in establishing an agile MHHE revenue contract management process that can scale and flex to variations in volume, nature of transaction, product and service delivery/fulfillment/discount model, customer type, due date acceleration and tract Contract terminations and renewals.
- Source for Contract Advice and Guidance.
- Serve as a primary MHHE point-of-contact to address contract questions and provide interpretation and guidance regarding MHHE and customer contract rights, obligations, expected outcomes and avoidance/resolution of contract issues/disputes.
A successful candidate will have:
- BA or BS degree in Business Administration, Finance or related field and 10 to 15 years of experience in contracts management or similar role.
- JD preferred with 3 to 5 years of experience as an attorney handling IP-related contractual matters (preferably in a field similar to MHHE’s business).
- Fundamental understanding of common law principles of contracts and the elements of contract construction.
- Knowledge of MHE company policies that govern MHHE contracts and contracting practices and processes
- Ability to prioritize and process a high volume of contract assignments based on their order to importance and to guide, direct and hold oneself accountable to execute and deliver on expected outcomes with minimal supervision.
- Recognize when to engage MHE Legal and other MHE stakeholders and subject matter experts on contract provisions that pose exposure to liability, loss of IP rights or impose non-standard business or technical risks.
- Basic knowledge of copyrights and licensing to effectively grant permissions for MHE customers in the higher education field to access and use MHE IP in a wide range of revenue generating applications and transactions.
- Strong verbal and writing shills to communicate the essence of complex matters clearly to the relevant audience of stakeholder, subject matter experts or members of the MHE senior leadership team.
- Strong negotiating skills with the ability to catch nuances in discussions and communications that can impact the objective and outcome of the engagement.
- Ability to draft contracts for business transactions consistent with MHE company policies.
- Ability to guide and set expectations with stakeholders as to MHE rights, obligations and protections in MHE revenue contracts with respect to MHE business and financial goals and objectives
- Strong program management skills to lead ad-hoc and extended groups of stakeholders through the contract expectation setting, contract provision-to-requirement-mapping, negotiation, review and approval stages of the contract management process.
- Keen issue spotting skills and ability to identify the root causes of complex problems.
- Critical thinking skill demonstrated through the ability to use logic and reasoning to conceptualize, analyze and evaluate the strengths and weakness of information, and draw correlations between relevant information to reach the answer or solution to problems.
- Active learning skill that manifests itself in the ability to identify, process and apply new information to current and future problem solving and decision making.
- Agile, adaptable and effective contract support in responsive to changing business needs.
- Innovation demonstrated through creativity and alternative thinking to develop new and different ideas for effective and efficient performance for contract administration tasks.
- Ability to maintain composure, control emotions and calmly and effectively work through difficult, time sensitive and stressful negotiations and problem solving situations.
- Ability and desire to personally connect and collegially work with others on projects that require cross functional skills and contributions.
- If you’re interested in this position, submit your resume.
- We’ll review your resume, and if you might be a match, we’ll contact you.
- After our first conversation, you may be invited to interview with others at McGraw-Hill Education. This is your time to shine!
- If you’re eager, dynamic and ultimately a good fit, you’ll be afforded the opportunity to change the future of education.
Join a team of those who want to make a difference in education, are intellectually curious and have integrity! We can offer a means for you to achieve the goals you want to accomplish in your career. Please apply – right now – we can’t wait to meet you!
McGraw-Hill Education is an EOE/Male/Female/Disability/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodations due to disability, please email TalentAcquisition@mheducation.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.