Director, Academic Design (High School Science) - Columbus, OH
Do you have a global perspective and are passionate about succeeding? If so, then let’s talk!
At McGraw-Hill Education, we’re accelerating learning to unlock the full potential of every learner. It’s this vision that sets us apart, contributing to a brighter future where the science of learning meets the art of teaching. We’re harnessing technology to enhance learning, both inside and outside of the classroom, deepening the connections between students and educators to empower greater success.
In fact, we also look for ways to better ourselves. As an MHE colleague, you’ll focus on aligning yourself to four Core Competencies to better anticipate customer needs, more fully engage across our organization, execute with agility and create better products for the educators and learners we touch.
If you’re smart, curious, and passionate about education – join us as we open doors. You’ll work in an enriching, collaborative environment where we create opportunities for learners and celebrate successes. Why? Because learning changes everything.
What will you get out of your career at McGraw-Hill Education?
- You’ll receive a robust compensation package, 401(k) match, medical/dental/optical insurance and more.
- We all need some time to recharge once in a while. All full-time employees are eligible to receive paid time off, in addition to 10 company-paid holidays per year and a generous sick time policy.
- Eager for a personal and professional development fix? Benefit from online educational programs and/or a generous tuition reimbursement program.
- Are you passionate? If so, you’ll be part of collaborative, creative and purposeful teams who have a history of promoting from within.
- Every position at McGraw-Hill Education makes an impact on the future of education.
We have an opening for an experienced, innovative, strategic Director of Academic Design, High School Science in our Columbus, OH office. Does this sound like you?
- Manage the editorial development process for all key titles in the 9-12 Science portfolio and work to assure authors, vendors, and development staff are maintaining schedules as well as budgets while developing content according to established guidelines, standards, and academic integrity.
- Lead the creation and execution of Academic Design (editorial) guidelines for digital learning tools and content development consistent with current market needs as well as current pedagogical, curriculum, and scholarly trends. This position will be responsible for compliance across all phases of print and digital development from inception to delivery to market.
- Establish research-base, including applicable learning science, linguistic diversity, and relevant teaching and learning instructional models.
- Work with digital and content team to inform development of new tools/feature sets for digital products and platform development based on instructional design best practices, including integration of adaptive learning and formative assessment.
- Train content development staff and other internal stakeholders (senior management, sales representatives, and/or technology specialists, etc.) on new content tools and feature sets of digital learning as needed.
- Work with Product Management and Marketing to conceptualize and plan new programs, establishing market and product requirements, milestone delivery dates, and budgets.
- Manage program budgets throughout development cycle including accurate tracking and forecasting of monthly spending.
- Represent the domain and the company as a subject-matter expert internally and externally, including with customers, key accounts, external professional organizations, and key strategic events (e.g., National Sales Meeting).
- This position will require some travel estimated at 10 to 20%.
- The position will require extensive training on proprietary learning tool platforms, content engines, and authoring environments provided by McGraw-Hill Education.
- This position will require employee to hire, manage and develop staff.
A successful candidate will have:
- Bachelors’ degree in biology, chemistry, physics, Earth science, or related field required. An advanced degree is preferred
- Experience in high school or college level science curriculum development is required
- Classroom teaching experience in high school or college level science is preferred
- Combination of 8 years of increasingly more senior/complex leadership roles in the field of educational publishing and business operations
- Must have strong business operations background with experience in the planning and implementation of new business processes and systems
- Must be detail oriented with strong fiscal and problem-solving skills
- A forthright communicator exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, and is able to state expectations clearly and be visible to employees. Demonstrated success in building strong internal and external relationships and teams
- Strong hands-on skills and not hesitant to jump in and perform work when needed, but generally gets the work done through others
- Highly energetic and pragmatic. An excellent motivator who generates excitement and enthusiasm within the organization, gaining commitments, empowering others to be proactive, negotiating persuasively, mediating to resolve conflicts and effectively influencing upward, downward and across
- The highest integrity, practicing the ethical standards of McGraw-Hill and the broader community, acting with fairness – being consistent, keeping commitments and providing rationale for decisions thereby creating an environment of trust
- If you’re interested in this position, submit your resume.
- We’ll review your resume, and if you might be a match, we’ll contact you.
- After our first conversation, you may be invited to interview with others at McGraw-Hill Education. This is your time to shine!
- If you’re eager, dynamic and ultimately a good fit, you’ll be afforded the opportunity to change the future of education.
Join a team of those who want to make a difference in education, are intellectually curious and have integrity! We can offer a means for you to achieve the goals you want to accomplish in your career. Please apply – right now – we can’t wait to meet you!
McGraw-Hill Education is an EOE/Male/Female/Disability/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email TalentAcquisition@mheducation.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.